Young Parents Team
What should I look for in a Mandarin enrichment class?
We ask Huang Ying, the head of Chengzhu Mandarin Centre, which offers Mandarin programmes for children from 6 month old up to Primary 6.
It is important to look beyond the publicity materials to ascertain whether or not a school is delivering what it claims. The following considerations will help you identify schools that have a professional orientation:
1. A bright spacious classroom with natural daylight and colourful stimulating pictures will help your child to engage with the learning process.
2. Teachers must be professionally qualified with a recognised early childhood qualification.
3. The teaching philosophy must be pupil-centred, with small class sizes of no more than 15 children.
4. The teaching methods must be varied and positive encouragement must be used as a central pedagogical tool.
5. Communication with parents must take place regularly and supporting materials to be used at home must be clear and fun to use. There should also be regular open classes where parents can observe the lesson, which helps to establish trust in the school.
(Photo: Hieng Ling Tie/123RF.com)