9 ways to save money when filing your Singapore income tax in 2019

April 08, 2019
  • 1 / 8

    It’s tax filing season again and parents should take note that there are many rebates and reliefs that you can claim when you file.

    Remember, you need to file your tax by April 15 (by paper) or Apr 18 (e-filing)

    Related: 4 money lessons you need to teach your children from an early age

    Load more
  • Parenthood Tax Rebate
    2 / 8 Parenthood Tax Rebate

    The Parenthood Tax Rebate, a one-off claim parents can make after the kid is born, allows you to claim rebates ranging from $5,000 to $20,000 per child, depending on the child’s birth order.

    Related: 3 ways to teach your child to count money for Primary 1

    Load more
  • Parent Relief/Handicapped Parent Relief
    3 / 8 Parent Relief/Handicapped Parent Relief

    You can claim for Parent Relief up to $9,000 per dependant if you live with the dependant (or $5,500 if you don’t) or Handicapped Parent Relief of up to $14,000 per dependant if you lives with the dependant (or $10,000if you don’t).

    This relief can be claimed on up to two dependants and can be shared between claimants – like you and your siblings – on an agreed apportionment.

    A dependant includes your spouse’s or your father, mother, grandparent and great-grandparent.

    Related: 4 parenting mistakes that hurt your child’s life skills and money smarts


    Load more
  • Qualifying Child Relief/Handicapped Child Relief 
    4 / 8 Qualifying Child Relief/Handicapped Child Relief 

    Qualifying Child Relief (QCR) amounts to $4,000 per child or Handicapped Child Relief (HCR) of $7,500 per child, which can be shared between husband and wife.

    Good news if you have a child born in 2018 and are e-filing your tax return this year. Iras will pre-fill your relief of $4,000 to simplify the process, based on a 50:50 share between parents (you can change the ratio when you file).

    Related: Family trip: How to save money when you travel to these 5 dream destinations


    Load more
  • Working Mother's Child Relief 
    5 / 8 Working Mother's Child Relief 

    If you are a working mum, you can claim the Working Mother’s Child Relief, which ranges from 15 per cent to 25 per cent of your earned income, depending on how many kids you have.

    Do note that Qualifying Child Relief or HandicappedChild Relief plus Working MotherChild Relief is capped at $50,000 per child.

    The child has to be below 16 years of age or studying full time at any university, college or educational institution at any time last year, and the child should not have earned an annual income exceeding $4,000 last year.

    Annual income includes taxable income (for example, from trade, employment, national service allowances and rental); tax-exempt income (such as bank interest, dividends and pensions), foreign-sourced income (regardless of whether it has been remitted to Singapore); and income from internship and attachment.

    Load more
  • Foreign Maid Levy Relief/Grandparent Caregiver Relief
    6 / 8 Foreign Maid Levy Relief/Grandparent Caregiver Relief

    If you have a foreign domestic worker or parents/grandparents/ parents-in-law/grandparents-in-law taking care of your children, you can also claim Foreign Maid Levy Relief and Grandparent Caregiver Relief (GCR).

    For GCR, you will need to satisfy the condition of being a working mother who is married, divorced or widowed.

    Another condition is that your parent, grandparent, parent-in-law or grandparent-in-law (including that of ex-spouse) was living in Singapore last year.

    In the case of a foreign dependant, generally, if he lived in Singapore for a period of at least eight months last year, he will be regarded as living here.

    You qualify if any of your children is a Singapore citizen, 12 years old and below last year, and the caregiver was not working or carrying on any trade, business, profession, or vocation last year. One condition is that no one else has claimed GCR on the same caregiver.

    Related: 10 ways to save more money when you have a new baby

    Load more
  • Course fee relief
    7 / 8 Course fee relief

    You can claim Course Fee Relief of up to $5,500 each year for any course, seminar or conference leading to an approved academic, professional or vocational qualification, or relating to their current employment, trade, business, profession or vocation.


    Load more
  • Check your eligibilty
    8 / 8 Check your eligibilty

    Check your eligibility for personal reliefs or rebates using the Personal Reliefs Eligibility Tool and Parenthood Tax Rebate Eligibility Tool found in Iras’ tax filing guide here.

    Load more
best kid birthday cakes edith patisserie

10 cake shops with Instagram-worthy bakes for your kid’s birthday

successful marriage tips

10 things that loving couples in successful marriages do

how to make up after a fight

5 ways to make up after a fight with your wife or husband: Marriage tips

jungmin lee ksisters boss

#momhacks video: Ksisters Jungmin’s top 5 places to go with kids in Singapore

fruit juice recipes

Fruit juice recipes: Surprising combinations that parents and kids will love

Latest stories

stitch x marker ripple sim miley

#momhacks video: Easy, budget-friendly DIY kids’ party decor hacks with Ripple Sim

best tuition centre PSLE

PSLE tuition or not: How this Singapore mum prepares child for national exam

Hort-Park-playground-best outdoor playgrounds in Singapore

Nature Playgarden at Hortpark: This free outdoor playground is fab for preschoolers

baby does not like stroller

Baby hates sitting in a stroller? Here’s what you should do