The chefs at Intercontinental Singapore share their recipes for congee and porridge, the ultimate Asian comfort food. Prepare them for your family today.
By Eric Neo, executive chef at Intercontinental Singapore
500g chicken thigh, bone-in
2 litres water
3 stalks spring onions, tied into a knot
1 knob ginger (2cm long), peeled and thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 cup jasmine rice
2 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
50g dong cai (preserved cabbage)*, rinsed and roughly chopped
A pinch of white pepper
1. Combine the chicken, water, spring onions, ginger and garlic in a pot. Bring to the boil, skimming away any surface froth.
2. Simmer for 30 min over low heat, until the chicken is thoroughly cooked. Turn off the heat.
3. Scoop out the chicken, remove the bones and coarsely shred the meat. Return the bones to the pot and set the meat aside.
4. Add the rice to the pot, bring to the boil and simmer for 1 hour, stirring every 30 min to prevent sticking. Remove the chicken bones and spring onions.
5. Stir in soya sauce and sesame oil. Top with a handful of shredded chicken, dong cai and pepper.
*Made by fermenting shredded cabbage with salt and garlic, dong cai is commonly added to steamed minced meat and fishball soup. Available from www.redmart.com and Chinese dried goods stores.