Bruschetta is such an yummy snack for the whole family that’s so easy to make, your kids can help, too. Our bruschetta recipe is made from pita bread, which is easily available from supermarkets. Add healthy edamame beans for extra bite and nutrition.
5 round pocket pita breads (about 15cm in diameter)
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt to taste
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1½ cups fresh or frozen edamame beans
1 tbsp chopped mint
½ tsp salt
Freshly ground pepper (optional)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
8 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
⅓ cup fresh basil, chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp olive oil
¼ tsp sea salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 200 deg C. Split each pita horizontally to make two rounds. Lightly brush each round on both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Cut each round into 8 wedges and arrange in a single layer on lined baking sheets. Bake for 8 minutes.
2. Remove trays from oven and turn chips over. Return trays to oven and continue to bake for another 8 minutes, or until crisp.
3. To make the edamame spread, bring a small pot of water to a high boil. Add garlic cloves and boil for one minute. Add edamame beans and boil for another minute. Drain the water.
4. In a food processor, add edamame and garlic, mint, salt, pepper and olive oil, and blend until smooth with small lumps (not puree). Set aside.
5. To make the tomato topping, toss tomatoes, basil and garlic in a bowl. Mix in balsamic vinegar, olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Set aside.
6. Assemble the bruschetta by spreading the edamame mix onto the chips, and then topping with the tomato mixture. Garnish with chopped parsley.