Looking for a confinement recipe that will nourish your body after you’ve given birth? This confinement recipe for double-boiled chicken is just what you need.
Executive Chef Ho Limg Neng and dietitian Janice Chong, both From Mount Alvernia Hospital, contributed the confinement recipe and nutritional tips below.
Double-boiled chicken soup with mushrooms and red dates
1.2 litres chicken stock
400g chicken, skin removed
50g knob old ginger, peeled
20 pieces red dates
12 pieces Chinese mushrooms
White rice wine, to taste
Salt, to taste
1. Bring stock to a boil.
2. Chop chicken into chunks with bones intact.
3. Smash ginger.
4. Add all ingredients, except wine and salt, to the stock.
5. Reduce heat to low and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Transfer it to a herbal pot and steam for 2 hours, or use a slow cooker.
7. Add wine and salt to taste before serving.
Tip: Make your own stock with fresh ingredients, such as chicken carcasses and veggies. It has less sodium than store-bought versions.
This recipe makes two servings.
(Photo: Young Parents)