It’s important to eat a nourishing diet after giving birth, as your body is recovering from the delivery. You also need to build your strength. Try brewing this black chicken recipe by
Wong Boo Hor, executive chef at Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital.
The red dates in this black chicken soup recipe have 80 times more vitamin C than grapes and apples. They also help nourish and stimulate the production of blood cells.
2 litres water, for blanching
1 whole black chicken leg (about 250g), skin removed, cut into pieces
1 young coconut
20g red dates
10g Chinese wolfberries
2 slices ginger
100ml chicken stock
Salt, to taste
1. Bring water to a boil. Blanch chicken for 30 seconds, then remove and set aside.
2. Cut and remove the top of the coconut shell and keep for use. Transfer coconut water to a bowl and set aside. Dig out coconut flesh with a metal spoon.
3. Place chicken, red dates, wolfberries and ginger in the coconut.
4. Pour in coconut juice and chicken stock. Cover it with the top of the coconut.
5. Place it on a steam rack in a large pot with water to double-boil for 2 hours. Add coconut flesh and continue to double-boil for another 30 minutes.
6. Season to taste with salt. Serve this black chicken soup recipe hot.
(Photo: Young Parents)
More confinement recipes:
White fungus lotus seed dessert
Steamed dang gui pork ribs
Stir-fried mango threadfin
Hashima with red dates dessert
Braised beef tenderloin with Yomeishu sauce and soba noodles
Green papaya soup with fish