1 slice threadfin, about 300g
4 tbsp vegetable oil, for stir-frying
1 clove garlic, minced
2 slices ginger, shredded
¼ red pepper, diced
½ red onion, diced
500g mango, diced
Sprig of coriander, for garnishing
1 tbsp rice wine or white wine
1 tsp sesame oil
1 egg white
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 to 2 tsp cornstarch
½ cup fish stock, chicken broth or water
1 tbsp oyster sauce
¼ tsp soya sauce
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tbsp water
1. Add marinade to fish, one ingredient at a time, and the cornstarch last. Mix well and marinate for 10 minutes.
2. To prepare the sauce, combine fish stock with oyster sauce and soya sauce in a small bowl. Set aside. In another small bowl, combine cornstarch and water.
3. Set a wok over medium heat and add 2 tbsp oil. Add fish and sear until lightly browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Add 2 tbsp oil to the wok. Add garlic, ginger, onion and red peppers, and cook until the onion is lightly browned. Add mango and stir-fry.
5. Pour in the sauce. When it simmers, add cornstarch and water mixture, stirring quickly to thicken.
6. Add fish to the wok again and coat it with sauce.
7. Remove from heat. Garnish with coriander, and serve with brown rice.
Nutrition facts and cooking tips you should know
– Eat more fish. It promotes breast-milk production and is high in potassium, which helps with healing after a caesarean section.
– Ginger and lemon aren’t the only ingredients that mask fishiness. Try mango, too!
Grace Ng, founder of Yeyeah Delights, contributed this recipe. It makes one serving.
(Photo: Young Parents)
More confinement recipes:
White fungus lotus seed dessert
Steamed dang gui pork ribs
Stir-fried mango threadfin
Hashima with red dates dessert
Braised beef tenderloin with Yomeishu sauce and soba noodles
Green papaya soup with fish