Looking for a healthy pregnancy recipe that is easy to make? Try this steamed salmon recipe that is nutritious and low in fat.
Salmon is a great option for pregnant and breastfeeding mums. That’s because it is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, which help your unborn baby’s brain development. Aim for two servings per week.
You can also turn this into a cold dish. Just shred the steamed salmon and mix with cooked pasta and peas.
Nadia Lambrechts, a mum and baby planner, contributed this recipe.
Steamed salmon with honey ginger sauce
500g salmon fillet, cut into 2 to 3 pieces
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
Spring onions, to garnish
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1½ tbsp soya sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
5cm knob of ginger, peeled and chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1. Season salmon with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. To make the sauce, mix honey, oyster sauce and soya sauce in a small bowl.
3. Heat sesame oil in a small saucepan. Add ginger and garlic, and saute until fragrant. Stir in the mixture from Step 1 and simmer on medium heat till it boils.
4. Pour sauce over salmon. Transfer to a steamer and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes.
5. Garnish with spring onions and serve with rice.
Try this healthy pregnancy recipe, too: Tempeh & spinach salad
How to eat healthier during pregnancy
12 foods you should eat when you’re pregnant
True or false: eating yellow-coloured foods during pregnancy will give baby jaundice
Why you should not take sugarcane juice during pregnancy
Eating durian during pregnancy: what you should know