Olive oil, for pan-frying
1 large pack tempeh, thinly sliced (or 2 small packets)
1 pack spinach leaves
4 fresh button mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 red onion, thinly sliced
Seeds from ½ pomegranate
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp gula melaka
1. In a non-stick pan, add oil and pan-fry tempeh for about 5 minutes on medium heat until crispy.
2. In a large bowl, mix spinach, mushrooms and onion. Top with pomegranate and tempeh.
3. In a small bowl, mix ingredients for dressing.
4. Before serving, drizzle dressing over salad.
Nutritional tips you should know
1. The tempeh and spinach help you meet one-third (6.6mg) of your iron and one-quarter (260mg) of your calcium needs during pregnancy.
2. Pomegranate aids in iron absorption and provide 80 per cent of your daily vitamin C needs.
3. Add boiled baby potatoes if you’d like carbs, or to make this salad a complete meal.
Bibi Chia Hui Szi, the principal dietitian at Raffles Diabetes and Endocrine Centre, contributed this recipe. It makes 2 large portions.