130g rock sugar
4 pandan leaves, knotted
500ml unsweetened high-calcium soya milk
385g fresh water chestnuts, peeled and chopped coarsely
80g canned ginkgo nuts
100ml low-fat/trim coconut milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Boil water, sugar and pandan leaves in a saucepan over a low flame for about 10 minutes, until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove pandan leaves from the syrup.
2. Add soya milk, water chestnuts and ginkgo nuts. Bring to a gentle boil.
3. Stir in coconut milk. Finally, add egg in a small stream before turning off the heat.
4. Serve warm or cold.
– Using low-fat/trim coconut milk (instead of coconut cream) retains the authentic taste of this dessert with much fewer calories and less fat.
– To vary the amount of sweetness in each serving, transfer the syrup from Step 1 into a small jug. Continue with Steps 2 and 3, and serve the unsweetened dessert with the jug on the side.
This recipe makes four servings, and is reproduced from Good Eats For Mums-to-be.
(Photo: Young Parents)