1 small sweet potato
3 tbsp infant rice or wheat cereal
90ml milk (breast milk or formula)
1. Place egg in a pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove egg white and use only yolk.
2. Steam sweet potato till soft.
3. Remove skin and cut sweet potato into small pieces. Mash till smooth with egg yolk.
4. Prepare infant cereal with Baby’s usual milk.
5. Mix with sweet potato-egg yolk mash, and serve.
Tips and nutrition info you should know
Besides adding sweet potatoes to cereal or porridge, you can steam and serve them as healthy snacks. They’re a great source of vitamins, dietary fibre, potassium, manganese, niacin and phosphorus.
Egg yolk contains proteins, vitamins, DHA, choline and lutein, which are important for brain and eye development.
This recipe is suitable for babies from 6½ to nine months old and makes two servings.
The nutrition and dietetics department of KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital contributed this recipe. Its senior principal dietitian Christine Ong contributed shared the nutritional tips.
More baby recipes:
Quinoa porridge with chicken and broccoli
Salmon with tofu and vegetables
Avocado banana pancakes
Mee sua with tomato, carrot and chicken
Chilled oat parfait with berries and chia seeds
French toast sticks with cheese
Brown rice tuna casserole
Tofu pumpkin puree
Stir-fried purple potatoes with Japanese bittergourd
Organic tofu dashi soup with bamboo shoots and mizuna