What you eat can affect your body’s ability to recover from infections. Top up your pantry with these wholesome nut and dried fruit mixes packed with immune-boosting vitamins, minerals and nutrients.
If you and the kids have been grabbing junk food during your supermarket trips, now’s the time to relook your family’s snacking habits. Research has shown that what you eat can have a big impact on your body’s ability to fend off and recover from infections.
While processed junk food upsets your immune system, eating well and snacking sensibly can help support it. So, instead of stocking up keropok, candy and other processed tidbits, why not have a stash of healthy dried fruit and nut blends?
Dried fruits are a healthy, antioxidant and fibre-rich addition to your pantry. However, not all dried fruits are equal. Look for those that do not contain preservatives.
Some fruits, like blueberries and Goji berries, are also considered “superfruits” as they are packed with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and other nutrients.
Here’s what you should know about these two superfruits.
- Blueberries are among the most nutrient-dense berries. They are considered a superfruit with its rich source of antioxidants, vitamins and nutrients. For instance, one cup of blueberries (148 grams) provides 14.4 mg of vitamin C, which is around 24 per cent of the daily recommended vitamin C intake.
- Blueberries are low in calories and generally have a low sugar content. A cup contains only about 84 calories and 15 grams of carbohydrates.
- Studies suggest that the high content of anthocyanins in blueberries, which give it its blue hue, offer heart benefits by countering build-up of plaque in arteries.
- Its high antioxidants content may also protect the brain and improve memory. Some studies have also shown that blueberries may reduce some DNA damage, which drives ageing and cancer risk.
- Also known as wolfberries, these tasty morsels are commonly used in Traditional Chinese Medicine to boost liver, kidney, blood and eye health.
- Goji berries are often referred as a superfood as they are packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Fruits high in antioxidants are known for their immune-boosting qualities.
- For example, a 100 gram-serving provides you with more than half of your daily recommended intake of vitamin C (around 48mg) and around 40 per cent of your daily iron intake (6.8mg).
- For a fruit, Goji berries contain a surprisingly high amount of protein at around 14 grams per 100 gram serving. Coupled with its high fibre content, sprinkle some of these yummy fruit into your yoghurt, salad or soup to help you stay full for longer and prevent overeating.
For an immune boost, cart out these healthy snacks
Stock your pantry with healthier snack alternatives such as Nature’s Wonders all-new Hearty Mix and Mighty Mix, which are packed with immune-boosting ingredients, including blueberries and Goji berries, as shared above.
Not only are they delicious and nutritious, a handful also goes a long way in staving off the mid-day hunger pangs and are a great mood-lifter. This makes it a perfect pick-me-up snack for frazzled work-at-home parents and kids who need a nutrient boost.
You could also incorporate them into your family’s meals. For example, sprinkle them over your kids’ breakfast cereal and your salad at lunch time. They also add a nice yummy crunch to ice cream or any creamy dessert!
Nature’s Wonders’ Hearty Mix contains Goji berries, cranberries as well as heart-healthy pecans and cashew nuts. It is the first Nature’s Wonders product to contain pecan nuts, which have more flavonoids, a type of antioxidant, than other tree nuts.
Another staple to add to your snack cupboard is the Mighty Mix, which offers an invigorating energy boost for you to stay on top of your daily tasks and routine.
Containing a blend of sweetness from blueberries and cranberries, it also contains walnuts, macadamia nuts and cashews, all of which contain good fats and a variety of nutrients to enhance health and wellbeing.
Can’t decide which one to get? Combine the Hearty Mix and Mighty Mix to get the best of both worlds! They come in convenient resealable packs. Both mixes are naturally cholesterol-free, trans fat free and are a source of protein and dietary fibre.
Nature’s Wonders Hearty Mix and Mighty Mix are available at all major supermarkets across Singapore.
— Brought to you by Nature’s Wonders —