Stressed out? Overwhelmed? Every busy parent needs to include these mood-boosting super nuts in their healthy snack plan.
Hands up if you are guilty of reaching out for junk food whenever you are stressed. While stress-eating is not a good habit, eating well can help take the edge off a particularly overwhelming day.
This coming New Year, why not make a resolution to adopt healthier snacking habits by ditching the junk food and incorporating nuts into your diet?
Not only does this nutritious snack keep your energy levels up throughout the day, it also helps boost mood and reduce stress levels – particularly handy if you are a busy, overwhelmed parent.
Nuts, in general, are a rich source of Omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids, B vitamins, magnesium and other nutrients that can help enhance mood. Some nuts, such as pecans and walnuts, are higher in certain nutrients than others.
Here’s what you should know about these two nutritional powerhouses.
- A serving (about 20 halves) contains 196 calories, 20.4 grams total fat and over 19 vitamins and minerals. Containing 2.7 grams dietary fibre, a serving of pecans provides around 10 per cent or more of the recommended daily fibre intake.
- Pecans do not contain any sodium or cholesterol, making it a heart-healthy snack.
- A serving of pecans provides about 25 percent more oleic acid than one tablespoon of olive oil.
- Pecans have more flavonoids, a type of antioxidant, than any other tree nuts, according to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). Flavonoids have been linked to a lower risk of heart disease, diabetes and certain cancers.
- A handful (12 to 14 halves) of walnuts contain 190 calories, 18 grams total fat and a whole load of vitamins and minerals that can boost mood and support health.
- Walnuts are also packed with good fat. They are a rich source of alpha-linolenic acid Omega-3, an essential fatty acid that has been linked to better moods, and lower stress and anxiety.
- They are also packed with protein (4 grams per serving) and dietary fibre (2 grams per serving), both of which keep you full for a longer time.
- Walnuts are naturally cholesterol and sodium-free.
SNACK WELL WITH NATURE’S WONDERS
When the mid-day cravings strike, grab a handful of Nature’s Wonders all-new Hearty Mix and Mighty Mix to keep your energy levels up in a healthy way.
The Hearty Mix is Nature’s Wonders’ first product to include pecans. Combined with a yummy selection of dried fruit and nuts such as cashew nuts, goji berries and cranberries, this naturally cholesterol- and trans fat-free snack can help energise you and enhance mood.
The Mighty Mix contains the ultimate blend of sweetness from dried fruits and delightful nutty crunch from walnuts, macadamia nuts and cashews. A great source of Vitamin K and packed with Omega 3, the mix also features the natural sweetness of blueberries and cranberries.
Tip: Combine the Hearty Mix and Mighty Mix, and enjoy them together in a handful! These nutritious, energy-boosting treats also come in convenient resealable packs so you can bring them with you wherever you go.
Stock up on Nature’s Wonders’ all-new Hearty Mix and Mighty Mix today. They are available at all major supermarkets and hypermarkets across Singapore, as well as online here.
— Brought to you by Nature’s Wonders —